Thursday, October 25, 2012

DiPaolo's Restaurant



Today is the Pumpkin Festival in Turners Falls. All sorts of vendors are set up displaying an assortment of goods from crafts to local restaurants, selling their most popular dishes. Fall, my utmost favorite season of the year, the cool crisp air with the beautiful kaleidoscope of colors from falling leaves. It just makes this event even better as I set out in a sweater and my fall leather boots looking for the best way to satisfy my appetite. The heavenly smell of various ethnic foods wafts through the air as I wander around with the leaves crunching beneath my feet.
I choose to eat at DiPaolo's, an upscale Italian restaurant in town.  DiPaolo’s opened their doors in the spring of 2006 after a seven year process of finding and purchasing the right building.  Denise, the owner of DiPaolos, said “The building kind of chose her.” After several attempts at trying to get another building, Denise found out that many buildings in Turners Falls were available due to non-payment in back taxes.  She was able to purchase the condemned building for one dollar, in part because the town liked the idea of her opening a restaurant.
My husband and I are seated on the patio; it is lit up with string lights, filled with comfortable patio furniture.  A band is playing in the corner named Fire Pond. Fire Pond is a two person band that plays a mixture of music of many genres. I feel very cozy here as we sit happily awaiting the arrival of our friends. I decided to try the Pumpkin Pie Martini the drink of the day.  It is wonderful, creamy with just a slight pumpkin flavor topped with a sprinkle of nutmeg.  Being a special event (the Pumpkin Festival,) DiPaolo’s is serving only appetizers.

I ordered the Caribbean Dueto ~ grilled scallops and shrimp seasoned with a Caribbean spice rub garnished with a mild spicy red pepper sauce and a pineapple salsa. ~ The presentation was awe-inspiring, almost too pretty to eat, but not quite, I am hungry. The chef has cooked the scallops to perfection, charred on the outside yet medium rare on the inside leaving the scallops moist. I really enjoyed the pineapple salsa and red pepper sauce.
Next we try the Melanzane Parmigiano - grilled eggplant brushed with olive oil and oregano, layered in tomato sauce with a blend of Mozzarella, Romano, and Asiago cheese ~ this appetizer came out in an oval ramekin with melted cheese and herbs on top. Once through the gooey-melted cheese your taste buds are hit with the red sauce made with what seemed to taste like a blend of red wine, tomatoes, herbs and a good quality olive oil. I really take pleasure in the eggplant; it just had a total comfort food feel to it.
My friend ordered the Avocado Salad - A whole Haas avocado sliced and served on a bed of greens with tomatoes. Topped with red onion and fresh cilantro, drizzled with olive oil and lime juice ~ The presentation of the salad is appealing.  As we taste the salad we discuss how we feel that often restaurant salads are under thought and rushed. This salad is well prepared, with just the right blend of olive oil, cilantro and lime. I think the red onions are a good compliment however a bit over powering. I would have preferred a few less onions.  However this would not stop me from ordering this again. I loved the creaminess of avocado with a touch of pepper to it.
The majority of the clientele comes within a fifty mile radius, range mostly in forty years of age and up, however young romantics are also attracted to dine here.  It is more a “special occasion” spot, where through the years DiPaolo’s have even had some marriage proposals.
The service was great, our waitress was very attentive to our needs, everything was clean and all the customers seemed happy with their food and were having a good time.
I give DiPaolo’s 3 forks!        

            My fork rating system    5 forks~ perfection  
                                                4 forks~ excellent
                                                3 forks~ very good
                                                2 forks~ nothing special
                                                1 fork~ won’t go back




No comments:

Hello, I have decided to start blogging again and share my "Journeys" with you.  I love to travel and come up with fun itinerar...